Maida Vale Apartment
Internal alterations of an 89 sq.m apartment within a Grade 2 Listed mid-Victorian six storey house.
All internal walls were removed and a new structural frame was inserted to support the four floors above. This has resulted in a completely open plan space with sliding walls and screens that can be moved dissecting the space in various configurations.
The main concept behind the internal planning of the flat is flexibility. The main space is 11 metres long and forms a great entertaining area. There is however, a full height top hung acoustic wall that can be pulled out from a hidden recess to bisect the main space and form a rigid partition with a separate entry door. The space can therefore function as either a two-bedroom dwelling or as a one-bed with a double aspect sitting/dining room.
Both of the bathrooms have been placed against the north-facing end of terrace flank wall with two windows benefiting from natural daylight – the shower is glazed on three sides with 3.6 metre high etched glass screens and glows like a giant light box bringing light into the centre of the space.
Raised platforms have been formed over both of the bathrooms and these house vast storage areas as well as the boiler and hot water storage. These platforms add to the illusion of making the internal spaces seem larger.
To make the one bedroom flat feel more spacious, Jonathan and Rashna Clark made their dining area a multi-function space.
By day it transforms into an office for Rashna. And by night the dining table can be removed, a panel slid across and a bed inflated to create a guest bedroom. This clever little scheme is both serviceable and very stylish.
Channel 4 - Naomi Cleaver 'Other People's Houses', 20 August 2003
• Cose Di Casa, Italy, December 2007
• Elle Decoration - Polish, September 2003
• Evening Standard ES Magazine, 8 March 2002
• Image Magazine Ireland, December 2001/January 2002
• Marie Claire Australia, March 2003
• House & Garden, October 2001
• Elle Decoration, March 2002
• The Sunday Times
• Small Spaces
• mnm2 minimalist apartments, Published by Atrium 2002
• Small Spaces, Published by Ryland Peters + Small, 2003
• London Apartments, Published by Loft Publications, 2001
• The Home Style Sourcebook, Published by Ryland Peters + Small, 2004
• Kitchens - a Design Source Book, Published by Ryland Peters + Small, 2005
• London & New York Apartments, Published by Loft Publications, 2007
• Sunday Times 'Small Spaces for Modern Living, Published by Hamlyn, 2003
• Ultimate Kitchen Design, Published by teNeues 2006
• Peace at Home, Published by Chronicle Books, 2003
• Easy-to-use Zen, Published by Vega 2002
• Living Room Essentials, Published by Ryland Peters + Small 2003
• The Well Organized Home, Published by Ryland Peters + Small 2003
• Homes & Gardens - Book of Design, Published by Collins 2007
• House & Garden - Biggest Issue, October 2001
• Small Spaces for modern living, Published by Hamlyn
• The Ultimate House Book, Published by Conran Octopus, 2003